Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The greatest SEO mistakes

In my continued efforts to understand more about Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), I've been learning about what is current best practice (mainly from my colleague Marc, but also from OReilly's great book 'The Art of SEO' that I've even gone to the effort of writing a review of on Amazon ).

However, I have been quite surprised by the efforts of some people to try to negatively affect their search engine placement. Often these are not completely Internet amateurs, but professional web designers / developers who either ignore established thinking or decide that they will 'try something unique this time'.

I've therefore made a list of what I think are some of the biggest mistakes in SEO:
  • Build a site with no / very little content
  • Build your website in Flash
  • Fail to update your content regularly
  • Build a site full of JavaScript
  • Give all your pages the same / bad title tag
Please feel free to add to these as you see fit.

No comments: