However a lot of businesses have still to venture into eCommerce and time after time the same key reasons for not doing so keep cropping up:
- Concerns about the cost of setting up and running an online business
- Concerns that “you need to be technical”
- Concerns about online payments and security
- Concerns about distance selling and the appropriate regulations
- Concerns about delivery, returns, etc.
- Concerns about getting & keeping customers
Plus it is important to remember is not just about selling to the home Scottish market, eCommerce opportunities also lie abroad. In fact, back in 2013 a report on Scotland’s Digital Future stated that more than 90% of eCommerce in Scotland was already being conducted with other UK or overseas customers. It is therefore unsurprising that in the last few years a Scottish Enterprise workshop on the topic of International eCommerce has been run in many locations across the country. I sometimes help take this popular workshop and it covers topics such as: researching new markets, translating content, global payment methods and international digital marketing techniques.
So what are you waiting for?