Saturday, February 23, 2008

Different influencers

Tom O’Brien has produced a great diagram that he believes shows the new influence model:



























This diagram shows how online influencers are affecting the mainstream over time and is taken from his blog posting.

I think this may be a touch optimistic though, as I believe influence can come from anyone / media at different times and based upon factors such as: their amount of influence, the idea and messaging they put behind it, etc.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hayden:

Thanks for the "hat tip" - looking forward to reading more of your work.

Also, this "digital influence" model of information flow is validated by our work on Advocacy changes in which are related to changes in Sales.

TO'B

Hayden Sutherland said...

Tom

Great to have your comment, thanks.

Your work on advocacy and the correlation between recommendation and sales sounds like great stuff to understand and measure.

But... I think I still need a little more persuading that the flow of influence always works the way you have shown. However… I can’t argue that the online mavens lead the way in so many respects, mainly because social media such as blogs give a very easy and efficient platform for the key influencers to publish their thoughts.
(I’m actually half way through Malcolm Gladwell’s ‘Tipping Point’ book and have just got to the bit that describes Mavens, only to find myself laughing at a relatively good description of myself.)

Hayden